Flood Financial Assistance


Periodically, funding is available for those who qualify for flood assistance.

Grants—FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA)

FEMA administers the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program, and the Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) Program.

  • HMGP assists in implementing long-term hazard mitigation measures following a major disaster.
  • FMA provides funds for projects to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings that are insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) on an annual basis.
  • PDM provides funds for hazard mitigation planning and projects on an annual basis.

Commonly funded mitigation activities include:

  • Acquisition – commonly known as a “buyout” is the most permanent form of mitigation. It removes the home completely and the land is converted into open space (e.g. a park). The acquisition process is strictly voluntary. FEMA encourages all homeowners in affected communities to be sure they get all of the information needed about buyouts so they can make the best decision for their families and communities.
  • Dry Floodproofing – techniques applied to keep structures temporarily watertight (e.g. sealing a structure to keep floodwaters out)
  • Elevation – involves physically raising an existing structure to the base flood elevation level or higher
  • Minor Localized Flood Reduction – lessens the frequency or severity of flooding by creating retention/detention basins
  • Safe Room Construction – designed to provide immediate life-safety protection for limited at-risk population that cannot evacuate out of harm’s way before an event


What is Flood Insurance?

Like homeowner’s insurance, flood insurance can be provided by a local insurance agency.

Although not every insurance agency offers flood insurance, most of them do. As Birmingham residents are eligible to purchase flood insurance and as every property is subject to some flood risk, you should seriously consider purchasing flood insurance.  Flood insurance covers contents and building losses to your property caused by flooding. From structural and mechanical damage to flood debris cleanup and floor surfaces (like tile and carpeting), your property is protected by a flood insurance policy, something that your homeowner’s policy does not cover. Please remember that most flood policies take effect 30 days after your purchase. The time to consider purchasing flood insurance is now.

Visit the Building Division for information on financial assistance in terms of a flood insurance policy.

  • Get a flood insurance policy – it will help pay for repairs after a flood and, in some cases, it will help pay the costs of elevating a substantially damaged building.