|Department of Planning, Engineering and Permits710 North 20th Street, Room 500Birmingham, AL 35203|
|Denise P. Bell, CFM||Floodplain Administrator Planning, Urban Design & Watershed Management Division||205-254-2479Denise.Bell@birminghamal.gov|
|Katrina Thomas||Planner||205-254-2479 Katrina.Thomas@birminghamal.gov|
|Amber L. Gray||PlannerPlanning, Urban Design & Watershed Management Division||205-254-2479Amber.Gray@birminghamal.gov|
|Permitting Services Office||City Hall, 2nd Floor||205-254-2904|
- Acquired/relocated over 1,200 floodplain properties for park and other open space uses.
- Received over $22 million in FEMA grant funding for flood mitigation efforts.
- Received over $4 for Community Safe Room Construction
- Adopted City-wide Flood Mitigation/Stormwater Management Plan.
- COB has CRS Class 6 designation that resulted in a 20% flood insurance premium discount for our residents.
- COB has removed over 200 structures incorrectly mapped in the Special Flood Hazard Areas through Letter Of Map Amendment Program
- Joined NFIP Regular Phase 1981
- Constructed Phase I VC Linear Park 1995 after the first major buyout
- Amended Floodplain Ordinance 1995
- Implemented USACE Buyout 1988-92 (~800 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA Buyouts 1996-2000 (~255 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA FMA Buyouts 2001-2004 (~10 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA HMGP FLOODWAY BUYOUTS 2003 (~31 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA HMGP BUYOUTS 2005 (~16 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA PDM BUYOUTS 2003 (~110 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA PDM BUYOUTS 2005 (~68 Properties)
- Implemented FEMA PDM BUYOUTS 2007 (~13 Properties)
- Successfully secured over $9 Million Dollars in reimbursement for the 2011 Storm Event
2012- 2013 Community Rating System (CRS) Program Status Report on Jefferson County Interim Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan
2012-2013 CRS Program Status Report on Jefferson County Interim Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan
Press Release Jefferson County Community Rating System