City Hall-1st Floor
710 North 20th Street
Birmingham, Alabama 35203
Tax and License Administration Division
Office Number: 205- 254-2198
Fax Number:205- 254-2963
The Tax and License Administration Division is responsible for collecting license fees and other revenue for the City of Birmingham and ensuring compliance with all license and tax requirements pursuant to the City of Birmingham’s Tax Ordinances.
Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., weekdays, Monday through Friday. Applications for new, “non-controlled” business licenses are taken daily from 8:00 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. at the Division’s office located in Room TL-100 (First Floor) City Hall, 710 North 20th Street, Birmingham, AL 35203.
Applications for “controlled” licenses, such as alcoholic beverage, pool table, and dance licenses, are taken by appointment only. For a list of documents required to process an application for a new business, please see Supplemental Documentation Checklist. See also General Information for New Businesses for additional information on “controlled” or “regulated” license applications.
*Beginning January 15, 2011, lodging taxes are being increased to 6.5%.*
- General Information for New Businesses General Information For New Businesses
General Information for New Businesses.pdf
- Supplemental Documentation Checklist Supplemental Documentation Checklist
Supplemental Documentation Checklist.pdf
- Due Dates, Penalties, Interest Due Dates Penalties Interest
Due Dates Penalties Interest.pdf
- Transient Dealers – Special Events Licenses Transient Dealers-Special Events
Transient Dealers-Special Events.pdf
- Alcoholic Beverage Licenses Alcoholic Beverage Licences
Alcoholic Beverage Licences.pdf
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions Tax And License
Frequently Asked Questions Tax and License.pdf